Some people call him a saint, but Peter Franklin doesn’t see it that way.
What everyone knows
1. Mister Franklin is from “The Library” – a place where people collect knowledge of the World and the Old Times.
2. He is a skilled teacher and has taught many people to read (both text and music)
3. He makes flutes and other musical instruments
4. He is highly respected in the local communities and has often helped them to settle disputes without bloodshed.
What nobody knows
1. Mister Franklin was once a high-ranking member of the Breeders (aka The American Renaissance Movement or ARM).
2. He is attempting to atone for his actions – and the numerous deaths he was responsible for
The Breeders attempt to prevent the spread of mutations and have tried several ways to improve their efficiency. One of their experiments was inspired by the 20th century Concentration Camps. It was not an unqualified success. It killed many mutants, but the Breeders were intrigued to discover that their personnel were often troubled by what they classified as the simplest forms of mental illness: empathy and guilt. The Camp was closed and attempts were made to rehabilitate the staff. Approximately 25% were classified as incurable – and designated as “IOD” (Involuntary Organ Donor).
Franklin was one of the Camp Guards – and one of the incurables. He escaped and eventually encountered “The Library”. For the last 30 years, Franklin has been trying to atone for what he did.